Monday, February 6, 2023
HomeAg NewsRecap of December’s Cattle on Feed and Quarterly Hogs and Pigs Reports

Recap of December’s Cattle on Feed and Quarterly Hogs and Pigs Reports

On Thursday after the market close, USDA released the December Cattle on Feed report and the Quarterly Hogs and Pigs report. Below is a summary of both reports from USDA.


Cattle and calves on feed for the slaughter market in the United States for feedlots with capacity of 1,000 or more head totaled 12.0 million head on December 1, 2021. The inventory was slightly below December 1, 2020. Placements in feedlots during November totaled 1.97 million head, 4 percent above 2020. Net placements were 1.91 million head. During November, placements of cattle and calves weighing less than 600 pounds were 565,000 head, 600-699 pounds were 485,000 head, 700-799 pounds were 405,000 head, 800-899 pounds were 296,000 head, 900-999 pounds were 130,000 head, and 1,000 pounds and greater were 90,000 head. Marketings of fed cattle during November totaled 1.87 million head, 5 percent above 2020. Marketings were the highest for November since the series began in 1996. November 2021 included one additional day of slaughter compared to last year. Other disappearance totaled 61,000 head during November, unchanged from 2020.

Full report can be found here:


United States inventory of all hogs and pigs on December 1, 2021 was 74.2 million head. This was down 4 percent from
December 1, 2020, and down 1 percent from September 1, 2021. Breeding inventory, at 6.18 million head, was up slightly from last year, but down slightly from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 68.0 million head, was down 4 percent from last year, and down 1 percent from last quarter. The September-November 2021 pig crop, at 33.7 million head, was down 4 percent from 2020. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 3.01 million head, down 5 percent from 2020. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 49 percent of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was 11.19 for the September-November period, compared to 11.05 last year.

Full report can be found here:

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments

%d bloggers like this: